Integrating energy for transformation
Garet Bedrosian, LCSW
Psychotherapist in Private practice and International faculty for the IIBA, and faculty for IMAGO
Masters in Social Work
Certified Bioenergetic Therapist
Certified IMAGO therapist
Master Facilitator Equus Coach
- and -
Diana Guest, MFT
Retired Psychotherapist from private practice, IIBA faculty
Masters in Clinical Psychology
Certified Bioenergetic Therapist
This course will not include CEs. Our upcoming recorded live events will be available here free for members and non-members who register for them, as is the case here. Members and event registrants can use their discount code to watch this event free.
Chronic tension and unconscious emotion create fixed patterns of behavior. The strong expression of emotion is not enough for transformation. Catharsis is the release of emotional tension resulting in the purging or purification of the emotions. Occasionally people experience a spontaneous breakthrough of feeling, which feels transformative, and for a short time, they experience the joy of feeling more open. Clients may express strong emotions in a workshop or even a session without connecting and understanding the meaning. Unfortunately, this does not provide lasting change. How do we facilitate lasting change in our clients? What prevents us from providing the holding environment for strong emotional expression? What does it mean to be in service of the client for their healing process?
In this workshop, there will be a video demonstration of a client session. In this video, you will see work with strong emotions, the release of chronic tension, movement of energy as well as cognitive integration necessary for transformation. Through clinical analysis, Diana and Garet will discuss the energetic flow of the session.
The Main Points of This Workshop:
- Introduction to the core principles of Bioenergetic Analysis
- Video demonstration and clinical discussion of a Bioenergetic therapy session
- Discussion of touch literacy in psychotherapy
- Discussion of the integrated use of catharsis
- Therapist use of self in support of the client’s energetic flow
Participants will learn:
- Learn how the titration between following and directing the client’s energetic expression facilitates the movement toward integration.
- Identify four elements of the therapeutic process that are essential for lasting transformation.
- Learn how informed touch can facilitate the expression of emotion in service of integration.
- Learn how cathartic expression, energetic flow, and relational support moves the client from a frozen state of defense to a more complex state of being.
- USABP Announcements
- Presentation, Demo & Experiential
- Q & A
- Overtime discussion (after the event formally concludes)
Guest, D., Parker, J., & Williams, S. L. (2019). The development of modern bioenergetic analysis. Journal of Body, Movement, and Dance in Psychotherapy 14 (4). 264-276.
Johnson, S. (1985) Characterological Transformation: the hard work miracle. Norton & Co.
Lowen, A. (1975) Bioenergetics, Penquin Books.
Schroeter, V. & Thomson, B. (2016) Bend Into Shape: Techniques for Bioenergetic Therapists. Psycho-Sozial Verlag
Tasche, J. (2021) Self-regulation and psychodynamics in Bioenergetic Analysis, IIBA Journal (31). 59-78.
Guest, D., Parker, J. (2021) A guide to becoming grounds: for somatic therapists and individuals, Morrison and Johnson Publications.
Guest, D., Parker, J.,(2021) Becoming Grounded: a detailed guide for Bioenergetic therapists, Morrison and Johnson Publications